If necessary, I’m prepared to debate the resolution on gluttony on the floor of the SBC. In the event I am called upon to do so, I have compiled the following one liners and quotes. Enjoy:
1. Southern Baptists don’t smoke pot and don’t believe in luck….but put the two together and you’ve got a real revival on your hands.
2. I’ve heard a host of Baptist preachers speak in unintelligible tongues. Usually they had a mouthful of potato salad at the time.
3. Southern Baptists are so fat you’d think we’d been baptized in bacon grease.
4. Ever wonder why our World Hunger Offering has dropped by almost 5 million dollars in the last 20 years? (Looking around the coliseum) Yeah, me neither.
5. We don’t have as many messengers at the annual meeting as we used to, but we sure take up the same number of seats.
6. This convention has gotten so fat that people think SBC stands for Sunday Buffet Customers.
7. “As houses well stored with provisions are likely to be full of mice, so bodies of those that eat much are full of diseases.” Diogenes
8. “Swinish gluttony never looks to heaven amidst its gorgeous feast; but with besotted, base ingratitude, cravens and blasphemes the feeder.” John Milton
9. “Gluttony is not a secret vice.” Orson Welles
10. “A glutton is a man who digs his grave with his teeth.” A French Proverb
11. “Gluttony is a great fault; but we do not necessarily dislike a glutton. We only dislike the glutton when he becomes a gourmet–that is, we only dislike him when he not only wants the best for himself, but knows what is best for other people.” G.K. Chesterton
12. “It is a curious fact that no man likes to call himself a glutton, and yet each of us has in him a trace of gluttony, potential or actual. I cannot believe that there exists a single coherent human being who will not confess, at least to himself, that once or twice he has stuffed himself to bursting point on anything from quail financiere to flapjacks, for no other reason than the beastlike satisfaction of his belly. ” M.F.K. Fisher
13. “Only men in rags and gluttons old in sin mistake themselves for carpet-bags, and tumble victuals in.” Sir Walter Raleigh.
5 thoughts on “One liners and quotes for my gluttony resolution…”
14. “This room is full of the richest people in history…because there is no such thing and never has been a fat person in poverty! If you are fat you are not poor!”
I am ready to oppose your resolution for one primary reason. Resolutions of the SBC should be proposed based upon a God led Holy Spirit conviction that it is an issue that must be addressed. Resolutions are not a way to “make a point” or promote an agenda. Your sole purpose in doing this is in reaction to a former resolution. Interestingly, I agree with your view on that former resolution and I think this issue of gluttony needs to be addressed. But the spirit behind this resolution simply isn’t right. We shouldn’t use cherished rights and tools of the SBC simply to “make a point” or cause a fuss because we don’t like something.
15. “Everybody’s got to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another helping of fried chicken.”
Then please tell me what the motion to boycott Disney was back in 1997? Was it not to “make a point”?
I would very much like to revise and repost (with credit for the original thought to you) about gluttony. This is a great idea!
My Priest points out that it has never been removed from the 7 Mortal Sins, even though the American Church ignores the topic, I would like to speak to it, using your phrases, if you don’t mind.
Could you email me, so we could discuss it?
Br. T Alphege the Bald